News & Events
Veterans Day Memorial
November 11th, 2017 11:00am-November 11th, 2017 12:00pm
Join us for our annual Veterans Day Program in the Memorial Courtyard on November 11th at 11 a.m., and say thank you to those who have and are serving our country. This program is free to the public. If the weather is bad the program will be moved into the ballroom of the Nimitz Museum.
This year's keynote will be given by Captain Mike Tatsch.
Captain Mike Tatsch grew up Fredericksburg, Texas, and joined the Navy to follow in the footsteps of Bill Phelps, his Boy Scout Scoutmaster who had been a WWII Navy Pilot. He earned a systems engineering degree at the Naval Academy and a Master of Business Administration degree at Texas A&M University prior to attending flight school, where he earned his Wings of Gold in May 1996.
Captain Tatsch spent most of his career flying the EA-6B Prowler, culminating in command of the VAQ-136 “Gauntlets” in Atsugi, Japan. Shore-duty tours included T-45 Goshawk flight instructor, Navy Aide to the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and action officer for the Joint IED Defeat Organization. In 2015, he completed his final deployment to Baghdad, Iraq, as the Senior Advisor to Iraq’s Minister of Defense, and in May of 2017 he retired from his final position with the Chief of Naval Air Training staff, where he oversaw training quality for all Navy and Marine Corps undergraduate flight training.
Over 25 years in the Navy, he accumulated over 3,500 flight hours and completed 750 carrier landings aboard 10 different aircraft carriers. His awards include the Legion of Merit, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Strike/Flight Air Medal, and various other personal and unit awards.
After the program we will have our popular WWII Pacific Combat Program at 2 p.m. on Saturday and at 10:30 and 2:00 on Sunday at the Pacific Combat Zone.
Purchase tickets for the show here
- Before They’re Gone: Portraits & Stories of World War II Veterans
- Pearl Harbor Day Observance
- Anchors Aweigh: Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and Marines of WWII
- USS Texas; The Last Dreadnought
- March WWII Pacific Combat Program
- April WWII Pacific Combat Program
- Weapons of War: Secrets and Science
- May WWII Pacific Combat Program
- Prisoners Under the Rising Sun
- June WWII Pacific Combat Program
- July WWII Pacific Combat Program
- Use it Up, Wear it Out, or Do Without: The American Homefront During World War II
- September WWII Pacific Combat Program
- Art of the Aloha Shirt: Keoni of Hawaii, 1938–51
- October WWII Pacific Combat Program
- Past Events
Tuesday, October 11, 2016
Museum launches ‘Real-time’ Twitter Experience for Pearl Harbor
In 1941, on the most infamous day in the modern era, news of a shocking event that altered the course of human history took the span of several hours (even days) to spread through the civilized world. But,.. what if our present 24-hour news technology had existed then?
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Texas Historical Foundation Donates $5,000 to Admiral Nimitz Foundation
The Texas Historical Foundation recently donated $5,000 to help replace the roof on the historic Nimitz Hotel, now the Admiral Nimitz Museum.