Sons and Daughters



A genealogical society for descendants, relatives and friends of World War II veterans. Join for family, friends and esprit de corps.

Research Links

If the qualifying veteran came home, then his Report of Separation will provide a wealth of information. If you do not have these papers you may contact the National Personnel Records Center. You must make your request on Standard Form 180. You may write and ask for a form at the Center's address below, or you can go on-line to their website and print out a copy at:


National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Website address:

The National Personnel Records Center suffered a severe fire in the 1970’s that destroyed many records. They have since recreated many files from a variety of other information such as final pay vouchers. If they can not provide the information you need, you may call:

The Department of Veterans Affairs: (800) 827-1000
The Veterans Affairs Insurance Office: (800) 669-8477

You may request the veterans’ Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). The IDPF will almost always establish his unit and gives information on his burial. It may give information about where and when he died, possibly including reports of the action in which he died. For men whose remains were never recovered, records of the testimonies of others in his unit are usually included.

[Military Killed in Action - symbol] You MUST send them a letter before they can do any research for you. The letter should include your signed statement of intent to pay the Freedom of Information Act fees for the work involved. If you are requesting a relative's IDPF, you may not be charged. Please write them at:

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Office
Total Army Personnel Command
2461 Eisenhower Ave
Alexandria, VA 22331-0482
Phone (703) 325-9256

If the qualifying veteran was buried overseas, you can obtain information on a gravesite by writing: 

American Battle Monuments Commission
Courthouse Plaza II
2300 Clarendon Blvd, Ste 500
Arlington, VA 22201

We highly recommend the book, World War II Military Records, A Family Historian’s Guide by Debra Johnson Knox, MIE Publishing, 2003 (Spartanburg, SC) ISBN 1-877639-91--5 for additional sources of research.


National Archives 

"Finding Information on Personal Participation in World War II" brochure

Cyndi's List of Geneology Sites on the Internet, Military - WWII

US Army, Enlisted Reserve Corps, Women's Army Auxillary
Corps Enlistment Records 1938 - 1946

Experience the human story of WWII in the Pacific Theater told through 55,000 sq. ft. of exhibit space, over 900 artifacts, and audio/visual displays.

Membership has its privileges! Join today for free tickets and other benefits.

Learn more about individual and business membership programs.

Already A Member?

Renew your Membership